As the month of May comes to a close, we thought it MAY be a good time to remind everyone of a few of the perks of staying active even during the long and sometimes lazy days of summer. Those things that we all really know, but just need to be reminded of from time to time!
Staying active helps us:
- Have more energy to keep up with our children, grandchildren, spouses, and furry friends;
- Burn more calories at rest, which means that summer ice cream cone puts less of a dent in our calorie limit;
- Lose weight and fit in those summer shorts that we wore last year;
- Obtain a better body composition (more lean body mass and less fat) and look good in that special outfit for cousin Sally’s summer wedding;
- Reduce stress, which we all have and could use less of as we ease into this much-awaited season;
- Have more flexibility and range of motion which can reduce injuries, and also make it easier for us to do those summer activities we like or need to do like participating in our favorite summer sport of activity, keeping the summer shrubs trimmed, cleaning the deck or patio, taking on a new home improvement project; and
- Become a role model for our children, family, friends, and neighbors.
If you aren’t sure where to start, talk with your healthcare provider, a local YMCA or fitness center, or start by doing some research online. There are some excellent great online resources to get you started such as the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports, and Nutrition or the American College of Sports Medicine. It doesn’t matter if you walk, bike, swim, or do some other activity, just keep moving and stay active for better health. You have our permission – “Yes, you may!” – just be sure and check with your healthcare provider first! Here’s to an active, healthy, and happy summer.
Image from Pinterest.com