SaltyGirl Boutique, a new shop in Kennebunk, Maine was started after a cancer diagnosis touched the lives of these two sisters, Sarah Kelly and Leah Robert. Their boutique has three missions:
1. A place to share beautiful, clean, non-toxic skincare and body care products;
2. A place to host events with the community that focus on wellness both inside and out; and,
3. A business that gives back to the community.
In March of 2015 at 36 years of age Sarah Kelly was diagnosed with stage 3 triple negative breast cancer. She was also 32 weeks pregnant with her now 18-month old daughter. Leah Robert, her sister, is an oncology nurse who works for New England Cancer Specialists. Cancer has touched them in more ways than one, and after Sarah s diagnosis they knew they wanted to share their story and help others, so they started SaltyGirl Boutique, and they began the shop strictly online last April of 2016, and they soon after opened their first location in September 2016 in the lower villages of Kennebunk.
Along with SaltyGirl Boutique that carries clean, non-toxic skincare, body care, and hair care products, as well as local gifts the ladies of SaltyGirl also started a non-profit called Foundation4Love, where a percentage of all sales goes to giving adults going through cancer treatment a night out with their spouse, a spa day with best friends, a baseball game with their family – whatever allows the cancer patient unplug from their cancer and plug into those they love.
“With everything else you are dealing with, with all the other expenses that are hitting you, we understand that the first thing you give up is time for yourself and your relationship with the ones closest to you. Foundation4Love is our way of giving back,” says Sarah Kelly.
SaltyGirl Boutique hosts a number of events each month including Conversations with the Creator Series, where the Creators of the brands they carry come into the shop to answer customers questions.
SaltyGirl Boutique hosts a number of events each month including Conversations with the Creator series, where the creators of the brands they carry come into the shop to answer customers questions. Upcoming Conversations with the Creator events include:
- November 19- Make up tricks and tips with Krysta Lewis, founder of Aisling Organics Cosmetics
- November 26th – Shop local Saturday! Shop will be open at 7 am. Come shop in your PJs. Coffee, Tea and mini muffins will be served!
- December 3rd -Tara Pelletier, founder of Meow Meow Tweet. Snacks, beverages and holiday face masks are on the agenda.
- December 10th – co-founders Gianne Doherty and Jay Weeks of Organic Bath. Snacks, beverages and DIY holiday – watch for additional details to be announced.
SaltyGirl Boutique also has their own line of StaySalty T-shirts and they will soon be launching their SaltyGirl Bath line of Salt Soap Bars and flower bath salts.
You can shop SaltyGirl Boutique at www.saltygirlboutique.com and if you know someone dealing with a cancer diagnosis and could use a special gift of love, share their story with Sarah and Leah at email@example.com.